American Sign Language
Clovis Community College students have the opportunity to begin their studies of ASL with a series of introductory courses. ASL is a complete, complex language that employs signs made by moving the hands combined with facial expressions and postures of the body. It is the primary language of many North Americans who are deaf, and therefore those who are skilled in communicating in ASL are much sought after in many career fields.
- Interpreting - Skilled interpreters are needed in multiple settings including but not limited to the following: government agencies including vocational rehabilitation centers and other social services, courtrooms, hospitals, schools, theaters and museums.
- Education - Teacher of deaf and hearing impaired students; teacher of ASL
- Career enhancement - These are some of the professions that regularly seek individuals in the field who are in high demand because their ASL skills enhance their professional profile: medical professional, police officer, speech language pathologist, social worker, mental health provider.
CCC students can take entry level ASL courses on campus. For those students interested in further studies, Fresno City College offers intermediate and advanced courses leading to the Associate in Arts Degree in American Sign Language Studies.
- ASL 1 - Beginning American Sign Language
- ASL 2 - High-Beginning American Sign Language