The Chemistry program is dedicated to the success of all our students. We create a warm and open atmosphere for learning with extensive instructor interaction in small classes. The program includes five full-time faculty plus several adjuncts and a full time instructional technician. We provide a wide range of chemistry courses necessary to complete programs of study for both science majors and non-science majors.
In addition to our state-of-the-art new classroom and laboratory facilities, the Chemistry program has an emphasis on hands-on use of equipment and instrumentation for general science laboratory experiments using pH meters and visible spectrometers. Students can also utilize instrumentation such as;
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy FT-IR
- Gas Chromatography with both Flame Ionization and Thermal Conductivity (GC-FID/TCD)
- Gas Chromatography with Mass Spectrometer (GC-MS)
- Liquid Chromatography with Mass Spectrometer (LC-MS)
- H-1/C-13 Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer (NMR)
Associate in Science Degree
- Biological Sciences
- Physical Sciences
Associate in Arts Degree
- Physical Education
- CHEM 3A INTRODUCTORY GENERAL CHEMISTRY (4 units, 3 lecture hours, 3 lab hours )
- CHEM 3B INTRODUCTORY ORGANIC AND BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY (3 units, 2 lecture hours, 3 lab hours)
- CHEM 8 ELEMENTARY ORGANIC CHEMISTRY (3 units, 3 lecture hours )
- CHEM 10 ELEMENTARY CHEMISTRY (4 units, 3 lecture hours, 3 lab hours )
- CHEM 1A GENERAL CHEMISTRY (5 units, 3 lecture hours, 6 lab hours )
- CHEM 1B GENERAL CHEMISTRY AND QUALITATIVE ANALYSIS (5 units, 3 lecture hours, 6 lab hours )
- CHEM 28A ORGANIC CHEMISTRY I (3 units, 3 lecture hours )
- CHEM 28B ORGANIC CHEMISTRY II (3 units, 3 lecture hours )
- CHEM 29A ORGANIC CHEMISTRY LABORATORY I (2 units, 2 units, 6 lab hours )
- CHEM 29B ORGANIC CHEMISTRY LABORATORY II (2 units, 6 lab hours )
Chemistry Flow Chart (PDF)
Most popular career choices
- Dental hygienist
Visit the ACS (American Chemistry Society) for more information about careers and chemistry education.
Full Time Faculty
- Jordan Anderson, Ph.D.
- Derek Dormedy, Ph.D.
- Shawn Fleming, M.S.
- Brian Shamp, M.S.
- Bret Wood, M.S.
- Austin Fite, B.S.