Dual Enrollment

The Dual Enrollment Program at Clovis Community College allows qualified high school students to earn college and high school credits at the same time while still attending high school. These courses are typically offered at the high school campus and taught by a high school instructor as part of a formal agreement between the college and high school. Dual Enrollment is initiated by the High School, so please talk to your High School Counselor about enrolling in the Dual Enrollment program.

Students wishing to take courses through Clovis Community College outside of their high school or over the summer should apply for the High School Enrichment Program.

Not sure which concurrent enrollment program is right for you?

Learn the differences between Dual Enrollment vs High School Enrichment.

If you need assistance with the Dual Enrollment process, please contact your high school's counseling office.

Enrollment Guide

If you have been selected by your high school for Dual Enrollment and wish to apply, please follow these steps:

Complete the CCC admission application online.

  1. You will first create an Open CCC account.
    • If you have not submitted an Enrichment/Dual Enrollment online application within the last two years, complete the application for the first semester you plan to attend.
    • Make sure to use a personal email. Do not use your high school email account as you will not have access to it after graduation.
  2. While logged into your OpenCCC account, click Start A New Application to apply to Clovis Community College.
    • You must select “Enrichment/Dual Enrollment” under the “Term Applying For” in the application.
    • An instructional video is available with step-by-step directions on filling out the online application. Within 24-48 hours after you have applied online, you should receive an “Admission Application Completed” email from SCCCD Admissions & Records with your Student ID#. If you have not received an email after 48 hours, check your spam/junk folder. If it is not in the spam/junk folder, call the Clovis Community College Admissions & Records Office at 559-325-5200 for assistance.

You must complete a “Dual Enrollment Registration Packet” each college semester you want to take a dual enrollment course. These paper application packets will be provided by your high school counselor and require signatures from the high school principal, high school counselor, yourself, and your parent or guardian. Forms missing signatures will be returned and you will not be enrolled in the desired dual enrollment class.

Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSP&S) - Optional

If you are on an IEP or 504 plan at your high school, please complete the DSP&S New Student Application. After submitting your application, you will need to upload an electronic copy of your IEP, 504 or medical documentation. A counselor will reach out to you to schedule an appointment to complete the intake and setup accommodations for your classes. If you have any questions, contact the DSP&S office at 559-325-5050 or dsps@cloviscollege.edu.

After you have submitted the online application and Dual Enrollment packet, a college counselor will review your application. It will be forwarded to the Admissions & Records Office for registration. Admissions and Records will notify you via your college email regarding your enrollment status. Dual Enrollment students cannot register or drop courses online through WebAdvisor.

Frequently Asked Questions

The term dual enrollment refers to students being enrolled—concurrently—in two different educational institutions. This means that a student enrolled in high school may be dual enrolled at a local institution of higher learning, in this case Clovis Community College. If students pass their college classes, they receive credit that may be applied toward their high school diploma and toward a college degree or certificate.

No. Currently most classes designated as dual enrollment are offered on the student’s high school campus and if a student needs to travel, you will be notified, and a signature will be required for transportation purposes. Most courses will take place during the student’s regular school day/hours.

Courses vary at each high school. All high schools offer dual enrollment “CTE” pathways for vocational training as well as “Transfer Pathways”. Transfer Pathways are general education dual enrollment classes to prepare students for four-year colleges and universities. Please check with your high school counselor as to what dual enrollment courses are offered at your school.

Dual enrollment courses are different in that they are taught to the rigor of a college course. Students will be using the same college textbooks and syllabi as they would if they were taking a class at Clovis Community College. As such, please be aware that discussion topics and course materials are generally designed for adult students and may not be appropriate for younger students. Assignments will be graded using college rubrics and standards. The final grade the student receives in their dual enrollment class will be recorded on an official Clovis Community College transcript.

There are many advantages to participating in dual enrollment.

  • In some cases, the student may be able to attain an Associate’s degree at the same time or shortly after their high school graduation.
  • Dual enrollment is a cost‐efficient way for students to accumulate college credits because courses are free and taken through the local high school.
  • Participation in dual enrollment may ease the transition from high school to college by giving students a sense of what college academics are like.

No. Enrollment while the student is still in high school does not count towards the first two years of eligibility for the Promise Grant.

Dual enrollment is a great option for many high school students. However, there are some things to be aware of when taking a dual enrollment course.

  • If a student fails one of these classes, it will negatively affect them on their high school transcripts and college transcripts.
  • Too many failed dual enrollment classes and too many “W” withdrawals will jeopardize future college enrollment and possibly financial aid.
  • If a student needs additional support in High School and is failing English, Math and overall has low grades, then college classes may not be the best choice.
  • Financial aid has a 90-unit limit and thus dual enrollment courses must be carefully selected with the advice of a high school and college counselor.