Filing Deadline: Friday, February 8th, 2019
Start Date: March 2019
Download Application Here!
Under the direction of the Counseling Department of Student Services, the Counseling Internship is a program which provides an opportunity for future professionals to gain knowledge and experience as a community college counselor. The following provides the outcomes and objectives of this internship.
Internship Outcomes of Position
Upon completion of this internship, interns should be able to:
- Explain the Matriculation process
- Describe Student Success and identify possible educational goals.
- Complete an Abbreviated and a Comprehensive Student Education Plan
- Describe how to collaborate with faculty/staff and possibly other agencies/institutions to support the individual educational programs of students
- Demonstrate how to successfully access and utilize common technology and software used by the SCCCD
- Identify various student services available to students for support and assistance
- Explain the rules and regulations governing community college and counseling services (i.e., Title V, ADA/504, confidentiality, etc.)
In the process of completing this internship, interns will:
- Provide direct personal, vocational, and academic counseling services in group and individual settings
- Work with counselors who serve various student populations and address specific academic goals. These can include but are not limited to veterans, students with disabilities, career/transfer counseling, and other categorically funded special programs
- Actively Participate and assist in the Registration-To-Go Process
- Attend and observe department (i.e., general counseling), committee, and other workgroup meetings
- Serve CCCC students appropriately with guidance from a current counselor
Include current enrollment in a counseling Master’s degree program. A substantial amount of counseling coursework must be completed. All coursework must be from an accredited college or university, or the equivalent education and/or experience and demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Include experience in counseling, education, leadership, public administration or closely related fields. Experience in providing programs and services for a diverse student population.
Conditions of Employment
Spring Semester. Hours per week can be negotiated. Assignment may include both day and evening hours. Other duties as assigned.
Application packets are available at Clovis Community College located at 10309 N. Willow Avenue, Fresno, CA 93730 or contact the Student Services front desk at (559) 325-5230. Submit/send all application materials to the above address or email Counselor Carla Stoner-Brito at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All of the following materials must be received by the filing deadline indicated on this internship announcement. It is helpful to include a cover letter with your paperwork listing the materials you are enclosing. Fax copies are acceptable, however, we cannot be held responsible for equipment and/or fax line failure. Please do not submit your materials in a binder or any other jacket. It is recommended that you keep a copy of all submitted materials for your records.
- A complete Counseling Internship Application must be submitted:
- A Letter of Application explaining your qualifications and experience as it relates to the minimum/desirable qualifications on this announcement. The letter should also include an explanation of what makes you most qualified for this internship and what do you hope to get out of this internship
- A Resume
- Copies of all graduate and undergraduate transcripts which indicate the conferred degree(s) required to meet the Minimum Qualifications for this position – unofficial copies are sufficient. Degrees acquired outside the U.S. must be accompanied by an evaluation service assessment. A list of some available assessment agencies can be found at http://www.ed.gov/ under the National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Academic Credentials section.
- Three letters of recommendation (unless three such up-to-date letters are included in a placement file) are required. The letters should be written by persons having firsthand knowledge of your professional qualifications, experience, abilities, and character and should be dated no more than three years prior to the filing deadline.
Equal Opportunity Statement
State Center Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of State Center Community College District to provide all persons with equal employment and educational opportunities without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age disability, medical condition, marital status, religion, or other similar factors as defined by law. We are a Title 5 Employer.