Tutoring Services Offered
The Tutorial Center offers a range of services to help students in a welcoming atmosphere.
- Math/Science Tutoring
- Writing Tutoring
- Comm Lab
- Group Tutoring
- Online Tutoring
Our Services include:
- Assistance from trained peer tutors
- Access to textbooks in a range of subjects
- Whiteboards and whiteboard tables with markers for use
- Computers with Internet access for school work (Canvas, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Laptops are available for use in the Center
Math and Science tutoring is available on a drop-in basis for most subjects offered at the college. Our goal is to help students become more confident and independent learners. We offer peer assisted tutoring, workshops and a variety of supportive materials.
Drop-in tutoring provides a setting where tutors work in assisting more than one student at a time in a variety of subjects in his/her areas of competency. When a student is in need of assistance, he/she raises the blue flag provided on the tables. Waiting time for help may vary depending on the time of day and peak hours.
The large math and science room is open-concept: the tutors move from table to table to help with different subject areas. It is a great place to study independently, collaborate with fellow classmates on homework assignments and receive personalized assistance.
Math and Science tutors can:
- Demonstrate useful calculator functions
- Review important concepts necessary to complete homework assignments
- Explain how to find and apply information and resources for class work
- Clarify lecture notes
We offer drop-in tutoring for:
- Business Math
- Computer Science
- Information Systems
Do you want to know when a subject you need assistance in has a tutor available?
Check out the schedule for our most requested math/science subjects here: Tutoring Schedule
For other subjects not listed on the Tutoring Schedule, call or drop into the center to find out when a tutor is available for that subject.
We offer writing support services in all subject areas. Our goal is to help students become more confident, self directed and informed writers so that they can achieve greater academic and professional success. The writing side offers one-on-one tutoring, workshops and a variety of supportive materials.
Writing Tutors will work with you to:
- Clarify assignments, brainstorm ideas
- Get an experienced reader's response and receive constructive feedback
- Organize and develop your paper
- Learn revision and editing strategies
- Gain critical reading strategies and how to annotate
- Find reference texts
- Use and properly cite outside sources
We recommend making an appointment for help with these subjects to avoid waiting for an available tutor.
Appointments are 30 minutes in duration and students are allowed to have two appointments per day with a half hour break in between appointments.
The Comm Lab offers tutoring and resources for students currently enrolled in communication courses looking to improve their public speaking skills. Professors and tutors who specialize in communication run these labs. We offer help with outline formatting, idea development, speech delivery and so much more. By visiting the Comm Lab, students can gain valuable insight and develop the necessary skills to become successful speakers.
The Comm Lab is located in AC 1, Room 141
Hours: Thursdays 3:00 to 5:00 PM and Fridays 12:00 to 2:00 PM
A unique feature to our center is our group tutoring program for students:
- Students enroll in a half-credit course (ENGL 272) that meets twice a week for 50 minutes with a tutor and a small group of peers who are enrolled in the same English course.
- Groups typically have 2-6 students.
- Students must attend 27 sessions a semester in order to earn the half credit.
- The cost of group tutoring/ENGL 272 is equal to the cost of 1/2 unit.
Want to learn more? Check out our Tutorial Center Classes.
Technology is moving fast and the Clovis Tutorial Center has introduced online tutoring in response to this trend. Online tutoring provides a fresh and innovative way to learn. This is a great way for students who are taking online classes or for students unable to get into our center to get the help they need. We have experienced tutors available to assist with online tutoring in math, science and writing, so students can get the assistance they need.
With online tutoring, students and tutors are able to talk directly to each other by using a webcam and a microphone. The easy-to-use interface includes several functions including the ability to write or draw to each other in order to make the online session just as helpful as a face-to-face session.
Appointments are required, so please contact the Tutorial Center at (559) 325-5248 to set up an appointment.
Check out our Guidelines for Online Tutoring
If you have any questions or would just like to learn more about our online tutoring program, please contact Stacy Ross at email@example.com.